Here is a condensed version of my movie blog – everything we’ve watched over the past month.
in the theater:
– The American, 2010. Somebody wants to kill an assassin/gun-maker. 7/10 (Good).
– The Extra Man, 2010. An eccentric old man takes in a lodger. 7/10 (Good).
– Easy A, 2010. A high-schooler encourages false rumors about herself. 8/10 (Great). No, seriously, it’s a great movie.
– Sherlock Holmes, 2009. Sherlock Holmes finds badguys by looking at clues, and punches people. 5/10 (Indifferent).
– Tarzan the Ape Man, 1932. On an African expedition, a woman is abducted by a wild man. 6/10 (Okay).
– Doctor Who: The Creature from the Pit, 1979. A dictator enjoys throwing her enemies into a pit, where there is a creature. 7/10 (Good).
– Tarzan Escapes, 1936. A hunter wants to capture Tarzan (but don’t worry – Tarzan escapes). 4/10 (Eh).
– [re-watched] Cinderella, 1950. A girl is forced to do a full day’s work, with only an army of mice and birds to wait on her. 7/10 (Good).
– Superman III, 1983. A tycoon and a computer genius hatch various schemes. 6/10 (Okay).
– Doctor Who: The King’s Demons, 1983. Someone’s impersonating King John. 5/10 (Indifferent).
– The Broadway Melody, 1929. A sister act tries to make it on broadway. 2/10 (Terrible).
shorts from the Broadway Melody DVD:
– “The Dogway Melody,” 1930. A parody of The Broadway Melody, performed by talking dogs. 6/10 (Okay).
– four “Metro Movietone Revues,” 1929-1930. Various musical acts perform, introduced by an MC. 6/10 (Okay).
– “A Movietone Divertissement,” 1928. Four musical acts perform. 6/10 (Okay).
– “Gus Van and Joe Schenck,” 1929. Van & Schenck sing two songs. 2/10 (Terrible).
– Mythbusters: Collection Six, 2008-2009. 6/10 (Okay).
and from The Top 63 Marathon:
– Sunset Boulevard, 1950. An aged star of silent films moves a younger man into her isolated mansion. 7/10 (Good).
– [re-watched] Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, 1964. A US general orders an attack on the Soviet Union. 9/10 (One of my favorites).
– It’s a Wonderful Life, 1946. Angels intervene when a selfless man considers suicide. 8/10 (Great).
– [re-watched] The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 2002. A fantasy world is at war, and two “unlikely heros” try to get past enemy lines. 9/10 (One of my favorites).
– [re-watched] Memento, 2001. A man with no short-term memory kills somebody. 7/10 (Good).
– Seven, 1995. Police try to catch a serial killer. 6/10 (Okay).
– [re-watched] The Matrix, 1999. An unhappy programmer finds out… some stuff that would be spoilers. 6/10 (Okay).
– [re-watched] The Silence of the Lambs, 1991. An FBI cadet interviews an incarcerated serial killer, hoping to catch a different serial killer. 8/10 (Great).
– [re-watched] Once Upon a Time in the West, 1968. A woman’s new family is murdered, and various outlaws take an interest. 7/10 (Good).
– [re-watched] Psycho, 1960. A secretary runs off with stolen cash and ends up at an isolated motel. 7/10 (Good).
– [re-watched] The Usual Suspects, 1995. A survivor of a crime gone wrong talks to the police about what happened. 8/10 (Great).
– Rear Window, 1954. A man with a broken leg takes an unhealthy interest in his neighbors. 7/10 (Good).
– [re-watched] Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1981. A treasure-hunter races the Nazis. 8/10 (Great).